Berengaria: The 'House of the Gods' from its glory days to its desolation

13/11/2020
* NOTE: All the tributes of All About Limassol (as the Official Guide of Limassol) aim to ONLY highlight the special aspects of this wonderful city, so that everyone can be aware of the exceptional options they offer. Under no circumstances do they have any promotional or nominal value, and they do not serve the interests of Companies, Municipalities, Organizations or Individuals.

Architecture
Tradition and Customs
Countryside
Economy (Commerce, Industry, Tourism)

The Berengaria hotel,one of the first luxurious hotels on the island, was named after the wife of Richard the Lionheart, whose wedding took place in Cyprus. This legendary hotel has not only attracted several prominent guests, but also remains an enchanting presence, despite having fallen to disrepair. 

The hotel was built in 1930, using stones that were gathered by the residents of the area who worked for years to construct it. Its eventual operation took on a mythical dimension, as it was presented as 'House of the Gods' by the local press.

Its 1400-meter altitude, the idyllic location within the pine forest, its imposing size, and its opulence made the Berengaria very popular. The construction of a swimming pool in the mid-1960s confirms that it was one of the era's most cosmopolitan destinations.

swipe gallery

Images from the hotel's construction process.

State leaders, celebrities and kings, such as Farouk of Egypt, vacationed at the hotel at the start of the 20th century, and it was soon referred to as the 'Hotel of Kings.

An image from 1929, during the construction of the hotel, reminiscent of the mythical 'Tower of Babel.'

Unfortunately, by the mid-1980s, growing debts forced the hotel to shut down, following the death of its original owner, Ioannis Kokkalos. Its abandonment resulted in its eventual looting by people who invaded the area. Once it had lost all the elements of its prior luxury and brilliance, its large size was the only reminder left of its former glory days.

swipe gallery

Despite having changed ownership frequently over the years, the hotel was never able to sustain any meaningful development. Today, parts of its inner and outer walls have collapsed, and its image is a far cry from what people remember from its glory days. This has led to many believing that the hotel is haunted by ghosts and spirits. Hope for its rebirth, however, remains strong for as long as the hotel continues to adorn the mountain like a crown. 

Relevant

Get a 3D, virtual reality tour in the deserted hotel, as it is now.

swipe gallery

* NOTE: The tributes of the Project "History of Limassol" present information that has emerged from historical research thus far. Any new data is embedded into the tributes, once it has been confirmed.

swipe gallery




5287