5588

The village that disappeared and was recreated thanks to a Monastery!

30/03/2020
* NOTE: All the tributes of All About Limassol (as the Official Guide of Limassol) aim to ONLY highlight the special aspects of this wonderful city, so that everyone can be aware of the exceptional options they offer. Under no circumstances do they have any promotional or nominal value, and they do not serve the interests of Companies, Municipalities, Organizations or Individuals.

Social Life
Tradition and Customs
Religion
Countryside

Agros is one of the largest villages of the Limassol mountain region, and is especially known for its traditional smoked meats and its cultivation of fragrant roses. However, had the cholera epidemic of the 17th century not decimated all of Cyprus and things had turned out differently, the village may have never been created in the first place.

In 1692 A.D., the deadly epidemic had affected two thirds of the population. In an attempt to seek refuge, an entire settlement in the mountain region of Limassol had built their homes around the Monastery of the Great Agros. Over the yeras, this settlement grew, and eventually became an entire village. 

The village was named after the Monastery of the Great Agros, which was built in the spot where the Church of Panagia Eleousa is located today. According to tradition, the Monastery was built by 40 monks from the Monastery of the Great Agros in Asia Minor, who had come to Cyprus brining with them an icon of the Virgin Mary. They chose this area as it was protected by 7 mountain peaks, and built a new monastery which they named after the one they had left behind. 

Relevant

The Monastery of the Great Agros was in operation until 1830 A.D., and was demolished in 1849 A.D. 

* NOTE: The tributes of the Project "History of Limassol" present information that has emerged from historical research thus far. Any new data is embedded into the tributes, once it has been confirmed.