The chiflik of a Turkish man became the famous Heroes Square!

* NOTE: All the tributes of All About Limassol (as the Official Guide of Limassol) aim to ONLY highlight the special aspects of this wonderful city, so that everyone can be aware of the exceptional options they offer. Under no circumstances do they have any promotional or nominal value, and they do not serve the interests of Companies, Municipalities, Organizations or Individuals.

Social Life

Popular, busy and with lively pulse, Heroes Square is one of the most important points of reference in the city center nowadays, with a lot of people and students crossing through it every day. However, the Square was shaped in the form we know it in the early 1930’s, since before it was an entirely Turkish quarter, named Kesseogloudkia.

The neighborhood was named after a wealthy Turk, of Syrian origin, Kioseoglu, who, arriving in Limassol in 1860, bought the area, built houses and created a small community. The newly established neighborhood was poor and consisted of small, simple houses made of plinth. The main characteristic of the area was the strictly Turkish character that was retained, as the Greek Cypriots were not allowed to stay or even pass from there.

Slowly, the character of the area changed and the region, from a purely Turkish Cypriot neighborhood, transformed into a residential district, both for Turkish Cypriots and Greek Cypriots. In fact, Kesseogloudkia was the first organized social entity in the region, since during the Ottoman domination, the land was nothing more than a field. At that time, there were no roads or houses around the site, while the closest residential district was that of Jamouda. Find out more about Jamouda here.

Kioseoglu neighborhood didn’t prosper, since the area of the Heroes Square experienced its most glorious era in 1930 and afterwards, when it acquired a totally different form with the building of restaurants and entertainment centers. Find out more about Heroes Square here.

Nevertheless, the first name of the area continues to be heard in the city, especially among the elders and in the alleys, carrying the history of the city. However, Kesseogloudkia is used less and less, endangering in that way the total disappearing of the name that signaled the starting point of the historical square.

Information: Limassolinhistory & Adamos Kombou, "Limassol’s Points of Reference", 2016
Historical photos: Pattichio Municipal Museum - Historical Archive - Limassol Study Center

* NOTE: The tributes of the Project "History of Limassol" present information that has emerged from historical research thus far. Any new data is embedded into the tributes, once it has been confirmed.