A CITY FULL OF FEELINGS A CITY FULL OF FEELINGS







Under the auspices of:
evel limassol

Monastery of Panayia Trooditissa

Trooditissa Holy Monastery dedicated to Virgin Mary, stands out for the natural beauty of its surroundings, as well as its antiquity and the exquisite collection of art that it hosts. The monastery is built on the top of a mountain, between Platres and Prodromos village, in the middle of the pine forest of Troodos, from which its name originates.

Enjoying magnificent view, built higher than any other monastery in Cyprus, around 1370 meters above sea level, the Monastery was founded in the area, where there used to be just a cave, a refuge for the monk carrying the picture of Virgin Mary, during the rough iconoclastic period. The tradition mentions that the monk first arrived at the Akrotiri Peninsula and resided in the Monastery of Saint Nicholas of the Cats, on 762. The monk stayed there for around 25 years, until 787, when the iconoclastic crisis ceased. Then he went to the cave on the mountains, which is still known as the “cave of Trooditissa”.

Around 990, a shepherd in that area located the cave due to a mysterious glare. After researching, a flame was found burning in the entrance of the cave, in front of Mary’s picture. Thus the monastery was founded, near the cave. Its construction was particularly difficult, due to the harsh, rocky slope, on which the monastery is “climbing”, while the water needed for clay was brought in vessels from the river running east to the cave.

Relevant

Both the temple and the entire monastery were torched by the Ottomans during 1585. The monastery was rebuilt from scratch, but it was once again destroyed by an accidental fire in 1842. After that fire, the new temple, that still exists today, with 3 areas, was built. The monastery receives a large number of pilgrims now, especially during August 15th, when there is a large celebration.



Do you love Limassol, too;