7173

Monastery of Agios Georgios Alamanos (Monagroulli)

01/05/2021
* NOTE: All the tributes of All About Limassol (as the Official Guide of Limassol) aim to ONLY highlight the special aspects of this wonderful city, so that everyone can be aware of the exceptional options they offer. Under no circumstances do they have any promotional or nominal value, and they do not serve the interests of Companies, Municipalities, Organizations or Individuals.

The monastery of Agios Georgios Alamanos, which first began as a men's only monastery at the start of the 20th century and was later turned into a women’s commune in 1949, is located approximately 24km east of Limassol, near the beach with the same name. 

On 4 May in 1949, then Bishop of Kiti Makarios, who later became Archbishop Makarios III, set up a women's commune at the Monastery, transferring 14 nuns from the monastery of Saint Antonis in Derynia. Thus, the first women's commune to be recognized by the church was created.

Relevant

It is built below the caves in the hill that were believed to have been used an ascetic refuge by the 300 Alamanos Saints who, according to historians, fled to the island from neighboring Palestine, seeking a safer place to practice. A single-area temple is located in the middle of a beautiful garden, and surrounded by the nuns' quarters.

There are 4 chapels outside the monastery: one dedicated to All Saints, one dedicated to Saint Nektarios, one dedicated to Saint Stephanos, and one near the cave of Germanos Stavrovouniotis, dedicated to the Patriarch of Constantinople, Saint Germanos, and Saint Georgios Alamanos.