A CITY FULL OF FEELINGS A CITY FULL OF FEELINGS







Under the auspices of:
evel limassol

Kounnapia Square before the Second Municipal Market!

Several decades ago, in the early years of the British occupation, Limassolians used to meet in the markets where they were shopping, in the shops and in the various coffee shops that existed at that time. A special tree in the area of the Medieval Castle, however, Kounnapia, became the reason for the citizens’ gatherings, which turned into more intense and massive, giving the surrounding area a special social character.

Kounnapia tree was where Theatro Ena is located today, at the Castle area having the stigma of a social square that was rising up at the centre of the area. The huge tree was hosting the tables and the chairs from the nearby coffee shops under its shadow, as well as many visitors who used to rest, enjoy their coffee and shisha, or play backgammon. Thus, the tree had become a reference point for many years, since with its rich foliage and shade, it was an ideal recreational destination for the Limassolians.

Indeed, the tree had spread so much in the area that it gave its name to the nearby coffee shop (Kounnapia coffee shop), a nearby Inn (Kounnapia Inn) and the wider area of the old animal market. The market that was operating in the Kounnapia Square had many shops and craftsmen, such as barbers, cooks, shoes makers, tailors and others.

As it is said, there was an Armenian umbrella repairer among the craftsmen in the area, who wishing to show his work to the public, he used to hang the repaired umbrellas on the branches of Kounnapia tree.

In 1927 Kounnapia Inn along with the market and the nearby shops were demolished and sold to the Cypriot company KEO, while in 1934, Kounnapia, which became a symbol of the area for many years, was eradicated and at its place was built the Second Municipal Market of the city. Although Kounnapia Square belongs to the past, there is now a paved pedestrian street that brings the mark of the old square to the present, with various taverns, cafeterias and a lot of people that cross it through every day.

Source of information: "Echoes from the Past" (2008), Titos Kolotas - Limassolinhistory
Photos: Pattichion Municipal Museum - Historical Archive - Limassol Study Center, Titos Kolotas​

* NOTE: The articles of the Project "History of Limassol" present information that has emerged from historical research thus far. Any new data is embedded into the articles, once it has been confirmed.



Do you love Limassol, too;