Jamii Kebir: The religious monument of Muslims that is still located in the city

* NOTE: All the tributes of All About Limassol (as the Official Guide of Limassol) aim to ONLY highlight the special aspects of this wonderful city, so that everyone can be aware of the unique Experiences it offers. Under no circumstances do they have any promotional or nominal value, nor do they serve the interests of Companies, Municipalities, Organizations or Individuals.

Social Life

The Jamii Kebir (Great Mosque) is a Muslim monument that still holds a prominent position in the historical city center. It was raised during the Ottoman domination and it was the first mosque to be used in Limassol for the religious needs of the Ottomans, who had conquered the city.

Specifically, in 1570 AD, the Ottoman conquerors transformed an existing Latin temple that was already in the area, and in that way they created the mosque. Its location, near Limassol's Old Port and the Castle Square, was not at all accidental, since it served the residents of the countryside, who were arrriving by buses at the Castle square to pray, and on the other hand, the various travelers and merchants who slamming near the harbor, were also going to the temple to worship.

Its name was not accidental too. The mosque was given the name "Grand Mosque", mainly so it can be distinguished from the other mosques and religious dwellings that were later built. The mosque was restored by Aga Mestan in 1829 AD, while in 1902 AD, it was greatly expanded that back then, cost 13 shillings and 8 pits. Today, beside the Jamii Kebir, a small Muslim cemetery with the graves of important Turks and Arabs of the Ottoman Empire, is located at a high point.

The Grand Mosque is still located in the city, retaining a distinct position in the center of Limassol, in the Zik-Zak area. Undoubtedly, it’s one of the most important remains of the Ottoman domination and a reference point for the Turkish Cypriot inhabitants, which enjoys great attention both from the locals and the tourists, who visit the area daily.

Source of information: "Echoes from the past" (2008)
Cover photo: Pattichion Municipal Museum - Historical Archive - Limassol Study Center

* NOTE: The tributes of the Project "History of Limassol" present information that has emerged from historical research thus far. Any new data is embedded into the tributes, once it has been confirmed.

swipe gallery