2562

Chatzipavlou Theatre: A reference point of the city and its entertainment!

29/03/2018
* NOTE: All the tributes of All About Limassol (as the Official Guide of Limassol) aim to ONLY highlight the special aspects of this wonderful city, so that everyone can be aware of the exceptional options they offer. Under no circumstances do they have any promotional or nominal value, and they do not serve the interests of Companies, Municipalities, Organizations or Individuals.

Architecture
Culture / Arts
Entertainment
Social Life

Chatzipavlou Theatre was one of the most important buildings and entertainment centres in Limassol, which marked the entertainment, the social life and the culture of the city, from the beginning of the 19th century until the first years of the Cyprus Independence.

The building was constructed in 1913 by Chatzipavlou brothers and it was the first place that was designed from the beginning as a theatre. The Theatre was located at St. Andrew's Street and it was also a cinema theatre, showing, among others, American and French films.

The Theatre was quickly transformed into one of the most popular places of the time, since it was one of the city's most spectacular entertainment venue. The Limassolians were massively visiting the building, watching films and theatrical plays. After all, the theatre and the cinema were among the favourite habits of Limassolians, since from then, the city began to have a special cultural character.

In the years of the Interwar period, Chatzipavlou Theatre was transformed into a cosmic nightclub called "Maxim", which it was one of the most legendary nightlife venues in the city.

The exterior look of the building didn’t have the view of a theatre. On the contrary, it was giving the impression of an ordinary 3-floor building. The interior, however, was quite impressive. The scene was elevated and it was dominating at the place. Below of the scene there was the orchestra's place. An impressive element of the venue was its balcony, where were the seats of the "privileged" viewers. On the top floor, the residence of Antonis Chatzipavlou and his wife, Theodora, was located.

Chatzipavlou Theatre remains at the memories of the old Limassolians, who nostalgically recall the moments of entertainment they had in the building, at the various phases of its operation. It demolished in 1878 and, until today, it’s considered to be one of the most important buildings that was ever built in Limassol.

Source of information: Tasos Andreou, "Limassol — Flashback", 2009
Photos: Pattichion Municipal Museum - Historical Archive - Limassol Study Centre

* NOTE: The tributes of the Project "History of Limassol" present information that has emerged from historical research thus far. Any new data is embedded into the tributes, once it has been confirmed.

swipe gallery