278

Ayioi Anargiroi Monastery (Fini)

30/06/2021
* NOTE: All the tributes of All About Limassol (as the Official Guide of Limassol) aim to ONLY highlight the special aspects of this wonderful city, so that everyone can be aware of the exceptional options they offer. Under no circumstances do they have any promotional or nominal value, and they do not serve the interests of Companies, Municipalities, Organizations or Individuals.

The monastery of Agioi Anargyroi is located approximately 2 kilometers from Fini. What survives of the monastery today is a two-aisled, wooden-roofed church. It is thought to have existed since the period of Frankish rule (1191 – 1571), but it possibly dates back to the Byzantine era, when the monasteries of Kykkos and Trooditissa were founded.

Initially, as is made apparent by its architecture, the church was single-aisled, but towards the 18th the southern wall was demolished and the church was expanded. Russian monk Barksky states that the monasteries of Trooditissa and Agios Filippos were parishes of Agioi Anargyroi. When it was dismantled at the end of the 18th century and the monastery buildings were abandoned, the few monks were transferred to Trooditissa.

Most of the frescoes and wood carvings of the church were destroyed in a fire in 1962. The church was rebuilt almost immediately by the village residents.

Ayioi Anargiroi, Kosmas and Damianos, are considered the Saints of the poor, since those who did not have money (‘argyria’ or silver), turned to them for cures and treatment.

This church celebrates 3 times per year, on July 1st, on November 1st and on Easter Monday.