4 Lanterns: The historical bridge that saved the Limassol city center!

* NOTE: All the tributes of All About Limassol (as the Official Guide of Limassol) aim to ONLY highlight the special aspects of this wonderful city, so that everyone can be aware of the exceptional options they offer. Under no circumstances do they have any promotional or nominal value, and they do not serve the interests of Companies, Municipalities, Organizations or Individuals.

Social Life
Transportation (Bridges, Roads, Ships, Cars)

The 4 Lanterns Bridge is located in one of the most central areas of Limassol, over Garyllis River, and connects major streets and districts. For decades, crowds of people have passed through this area, across the characteristic bridge that is now one of the city’s most important historical reference points.

During the years of Ottoman domination and up until the arrival of the British, before the bridge was built, crossing the river was quite difficult. Many people passed through that area (the center of Limassol at the time), as a number of shops and craftsmen worked nearby, on Eleftherias Street and the surrounding neighborhoods. Thus, coaches, horses and pedestrians were forced to cross through river, while during the winter, following heavy rainfall, the passage became more and more difficult, and at times impossible.

In fact, in 1880 and 1894, major floods resulted people drowning and severe damages. Following these incidents, the British administration decided to build a bridge for the easy movement and transit of the area, but also to make it easier to move from the Turkish Cypriot district to the areas inhabited by Greek Cypriots.


The image of the bridge, with its heavy iron railings, remains the same to this day.

The bridge was built in 1900, following the necessary designs and order of special iron pieces from England. Stone walls and arches were constructed on the riverbed as the bridge supports, and completed with an iron section with beams.

A characteristic element of the bridge is the 4 lanterns, 2 on the east and 2 on the west, marking the entrance and exit of the bridge, after which both the bridge and the area were named.

Thus, the bridge has remained in the city for more than a century, giving the area its own unique identity. The bridge and the 2 small roundabouts at the beginning and the end of the site unite well-known neighbourhoods and streets in the centre of Limassol, such as Eleftherias Street, Navarinou Street and the surrounding Turkish Cypriot districts. At the same time, it is an organic part of the linear park, which passes through Garyllis River (find out more about Garyllis River here), joining not only the streets but also the memories of the old Limassolians with the daily life of the younger people.

Source of information: Adamos Kombou, "Limassol Points of Reference", 2016

* NOTE: The tributes of the Project "History of Limassol" present information that has emerged from historical research thus far. Any new data is embedded into the tributes, once it has been confirmed.