A CITY FULL OF FEELINGS A CITY FULL OF FEELINGS







Under the auspices of:
evel limassol

The District Administration building, Enaerios, Laniteio and other unknown hospitals in the city

Several public and private hospitals were founded in the Limassol city long time ago. For centuries, though, the residents would suffer from epidemics, diseases and the fake promises of charlatan healers.

During the rule of the Ottoman Empire, local doctors were quite few. Some doctors would arrive occasionally, as visitors from abroad. Those who could afford it, they would go to neighboring countries to receive treatment for their health problems, since the first hospitals would actually operate after the British had arrived.

Hospital at Enaerios (1900)

The building of the luxurious "Europe Hotel", which closed shortly after its opening, was used to house the Limassol hospital, which remained there until 1923. The Enaerios hospital building was then used as a poor house until the 1950s, when it was turned into a Children Shelter and then to "Ayios Stefanos" foundation. The building was demolished in 1993 and the area was turned into the well-known Enaerios parking.

District Administration building hospital (1924) 
Limassol acquired its first, official, public hospital during the mid-war. The building followed the type of the colonial architecture of the time. Apart from the main, 2-storey building, some auxiliary facilities used to operates at its back, hosting the dormitories for the staff of the hospital.

Maria Rousou clinic

The first female Cypriot doctor was Maria Rousou from Limassol, whose clinic was located at a building at Irinis street, during the 1930s.


The last clinic of Maria Rousou at Coumandarias road. Her most of her clients where Turkish Cypriots who were living nearby. Clinic closed down at 1938 when the doctor got married and opened an clinic at her house. She was practicing medicine free of charge.

Old Limassol Hospital (1957)

The city kept growing and the need were increasing. During the 1950s the construction of the building which houses the Old Limassol Hospital today was initiated. Since the coronation of Queen Elizabeth of England happened upon the year of the inauguration of the hospital, the building was named as “Coronation Hospital Limassol” in Her honor.

Tritoftides clinic

From the 1940s and for many desades on, Marios Tritoftides  "Evangelismos" clinic would host countless patients from Limassol and beyond, at the building along Makariou avenue. After the death of Marios Tritoftides, the clinic closed down and, eventually, it was demolished.

106 General Military Hospital (106 GMH: 20/7/1974 – 10/9/1974)

Urgent needs and a mortar strike at the Old Limassol Hospital during the Turkish invasion, led to the creation of a temporary Military Hospital in the area of Laniteio Highschool. That summer, the school would accommodate the participants of the International Festival in Limassol, so the necessary beds were already in place. Doctor Marios Tritoftides was a main actor of the coordination.

Sources:
- Mimis Sophocleous, 106 General Military Hospital (106 GMH), Limassol History Archives
- Cyprus Medical Museum

* NOTE: The articles of the Project "History of Limassol" present information that has emerged from historical research thus far. Any new data is embedded into the articles, once it has been confirmed.


Do you love Limassol, too;