Monastery of Panagia Amirou (Apsiou)

* NOTE: All the tributes of All About Limassol (as the Official Guide of Limassol) aim to ONLY highlight the special aspects of this wonderful city, so that everyone can be aware of the exceptional options they offer. Under no circumstances do they have any promotional or nominal value, and they do not serve the interests of Companies, Municipalities, Organizations or Individuals.

The Monastery of Amirou is located at the foot of Kakomallis Mountain, northeast of Limassol, east of Apsiou village and west of Mathikoloni, just a half hour drive from the city. It can be reached via the road to Palodia, east of the main road of Limassol – Troodos, by following the signs towards Apsiou village.

The Monastery’s year of establishment is unknown, but some inscriptions and heirlooms would testify that its operation dates back to at least the 16th century. The single temple, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was renovated in 1776. The Monastery was deserted by the beginning of the 19th century and as the years passed, all of its buildings, except for the temple, were destroyed.

The Monastery was resurrected in 1997, thanks to the legacy of Sister Maria's Superior. A new wing was created around the ancient temple, which housed cells, a hostel, and auxiliary spaces. Thoday, this new building also houses a church dedicated to Saint Catherine. The church was inaugurated in 2013.

The monastery is located just a few minutes drive from the picnic area in Agia Paraskevi.