A CITY FULL OF FEELINGS A CITY FULL OF FEELINGS







Under the auspices of:
PARTNERS

St Catherine Catholic church

At the Limassol seaside road, an extraordinary building stands out, with its majestic facade and white columns. With a baroque style in the interior, with an eclectic design on the exterior, the church follows the artistic trend of that period throughout Europe for similar buildings. The building, designed by the architect, Fr Francesco da Monghidoro, a Franciscan from Bologna, has 3 aisles with a single apse and it is 23 meters long by 15 meters wide.

The Franciscans came to Limassol during the 13th century. However, they were forced to leave about the middle of the 15th century, due to adverse circumstances. But they usually visited the community when it was possible. In 1850, they established permanent residence in the city. In 1872 they started to build the present church of St Catherine of Alexandria, Virgin and Martyr of the forth century. The church was inaugurated on November 25th, 1879, when the church celebrate St Catherine's day. The British Governor of Cyprus, the Consuls of France, Italy, Austria and Greece, together with some Orthodox clergymen attended the inauguration.

In 1979, the church was restored. An 80-square-meter Byzantine fresco was painted on the apse, behind the altar. The saints painted are St Francis of Assisi, St Michael the Archangel, the Virgin Mary, St Gabriel, St Catherine, St Anthony of Padua, St Epihpaneus, the Apostles Peter and Andrew, St Hilarion and St Barnabas, a native of Cyprus. The inauguration of the restored church took place on November 15th, 1981. 

Behind the church, a large building with simple lines, arches, a large garden and several common use areas, both open and covered, hosts the Franciscan monastery in Limassol, where several events takes place, from religious meetings to Sunday picnics.



Do you love Limassol, too;